Tryout Dates: May 3rd - May 5th, 2019.
Please fill out contact form: https://tinyurl.com/y4thylfa
Fight Song video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iNW3P2cgUk&feature=youtu.be
New participants must pay a $35 tryout fee.
- Cash is accepted.
- Please make checks out to Iowa Western Cheerleading.
Tryouts are closed to spectators. Only student-athletes trying out are permitted to be in the arena.
Friday May 3rd, 2019.
- Registration 1pm - 2pm (new particpants trying out for the team for the first time will have a $35 tryout fee). You are welcome to pay with cash or check (please make checks payable to Iowa Western Cheerleading).
- You will need to bring a copy of your acceptance letter to Iowa Western Community College in order to tryout.
- Tryouts on this Friday will run until approximately 8:30pm that evening with a dinner break from 6:00pm - 7:00pm (participants are welcome to eat with the returning members at the student center, or you can also pick your child up and drop them back off by 7:00pm).
Saturday May 4th, 2019.
- Individual Interviews will begin at 9:00am sharp. Student-athletes need to dress in business casual attire for their interview.
- Tryouts will run until approximately 5:00pm that evening. Athletes will have a lunch break from 1:45pm - 3:00pm.
- The 2019-2020 team will be posted at the end of this day.
Sunday May 5th, 2019.
- First team practice and uniform fitting for members who made the 2019-2020 Reiver Cheer team (10:00am - 1:00pm).
How to prepare for tryouts:
- If you are able to attend our spring clinics on March 2nd and April 6th this will give you the best insight on what to expect at our tryout.
- Ladies need to wear spandex shorts with soffee shorts over the top, t-shirt ( no sports bras, tank tops, or cut off shirts). You need to have a game day hair (low ponytail with bow) and make-up look (lipstick included). Please wear Iowa Western colors which are blue, black, and white.
- Bring with you a business casual outift that you can wear for interviews if you make it to day 2.
- At tryouts you will be required to perform the Iowa Western fight song. You can learn the motions to the fight song with current members of the team if you are able to attend a spring clinic. If you are unable to attend a clinic a video of the fight song motions will be posted to our website and you can teach yourself from home. (fight song includes a standing tuck as well as a stunt)
- You will also be asked to perform your best running tumbling skills as well as standing tumbling skills.
- You will be asked to perform stunts with a partner/group of your choice. You will be provided time during tryouts to stunt around with other participants and find who you feel most comfortable stunting with to highlight yourself during your tryout.
Tips for a good showing at tryouts:
- Be friendly, outgoing, and willing to try!
- Talk to other participants and make friends.
- SMILE and have fun! This is not supposed to be a frightening experience. You should feel comfortable and confident in your abilities.
- Practice, practice, practice! Don't show up to tryouts not knowing the fight song or having practiced your skills in a while. If you practice and prepare for tryouts you will feel good about your performance.
- Wake yourself up in the morning, shower, and eat a good breakfast.
Video tryout submission:
- Video tryout submission is accepted however we strongly encourage in person tryouts.
- If you know you cannot make tryouts due to conflict with prior obligations email Head Coach, Raven Gau, at email@example.com for more information on what needs to be included in your video submission.
We are SO excited to meet all of our future Reivers!